JAPAMERICAN


As most of you know, we here at imogene+willie are pretty into American work wear. Hell, we are into everything Americana. I love knowing that this is our heritage and that it still drives a style of clothing that is so popular today. Yet I find it almost impossible to buy anything American in America. The Japanese have made BIG BUSINESS out of buying American. They, much like myself, labor over finding vintage pieces that came from the middle working-class that made our country what it is today. I think the most important thing to take away from this blog post is: until we make America "Big Business" again, we might not have any business at all. Make a change, seek out things made here in America, and remember: nothing that's worth doing is easy! Check out "The American List" on A Continuous Lean. It's a great place to start.
matt

1 comment:

  1. loopcollar@yahoo.comFebruary 26, 2010 at 4:17 AM

    I only wish this was preached like 13yrs ago..since I started buying and selling vintage clothes the Japanese were the only people I sold to,since then I have noticed a growing interest from young pickers in the states....I only wish I would have kept a few items....mainly East West and a few Big E redlines...good thing is when you devote your life to this..the next find is always the most thrilling!!!

    ReplyDelete